On Oct. 1, 1932, the F1 of The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center opened its doors (1). While psychiatric care had a venerable tradition at The New York Hospital dating back to the late eighteenth century, psychiatric services had been segregated from the general hospital since 1821, with the establishment of the Bloomingdale Asylum (now the Westchester Division). In 1899, 5 years after the Bloomingdale Asylum moved from Manhattan to White Plains, Samuel B. Lyon, medical superintendent, began to advocate for an institution based at the main hospital in New York City, so as to provide short-term treatment of acute mental illness. Lyon also advocated for an academic affiliation so that this would be a "new centre for investigating all the questions connected with the causes, treatment and care of the insane." Lyon's vision would take three decades to become a reality. In 1927, Payne Whitney, a member of The New York Hospital Board of Governors, died, leaving a bequest to fund "neurologic and psychiatric work." One month later The New York Hospital formally associated with Cornell University Medical College. From these events, the Payne Whitney Psychiatric Clinic and the Cornell University Medical College Department of Psychiatry would be born.