0
Get Alert
Please Wait... Processing your request... Please Wait.
You must sign in to sign-up for alerts.

Please confirm that your email address is correct, so you can successfully receive this alert.

Article   |    
THE PSYCHIATRIC HOME TREATMENT SERVICE: PRELIMINARY REPORT OF FIVE YEARS OF CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
TOBIAS T. FRIEDMAN; ALVIN BECKER; LEONARD WEINER
Am J Psychiatry 1964;120:782-788.
View Author and Article Information

Director, Psychiatric Home Treatment Service, Boston State Hospital, Boston University Medical Center.

Senior Psychiatrist, Psychiatric Home Treatment Service, Boston State Hospital, Boston University Medical Center.

Research Director, Psychiatric Home Treatment Service, Boston State Hospital, Boston University Medical Center.

text A A A
PDF of the full text article.
Abstract

This paper is an overview of the 6 years of existence of the Psychiatric Home Treatment Service and of the 4 clinical programs it pursued. The goal of the service was to define a new community approach to the care of those suffering from serious mental illness. An attempt was made to use home treatment as an alternative to hospitalization wherever appropriate with these patients.Of the patients referred to us, 30% did not appear to be hospital-bound. Of the remaining 70%, more than one-half could be managed outside the hospital using home treatment and/or other alternatives to hospitalization. It would seem from our experiences that a home treatment service can be a valuable facility attached to a state hospital, but perhaps could be even more valuable as an integral part of every community mental health center.

Abstract Teaser
Figures in this Article

Your Session has timed out. Please sign back in to continue.
Sign In Your Session has timed out. Please sign back in to continue.
Sign In to Access Full Content
 
Username
Password
Sign in via Athens (What is this?)
Athens is a service for single sign-on which enables access to all of an institution's subscriptions on- or off-site.
Not a subscriber?

Subscribe Now/Learn More

PsychiatryOnline subscription options offer access to the DSM-5 library, books, journals, CME, and patient resources. This all-in-one virtual library provides psychiatrists and mental health professionals with key resources for diagnosis, treatment, research, and professional development.

Need more help? PsychiatryOnline Customer Service may be reached by emailing PsychiatryOnline@psych.org or by calling 800-368-5777 (in the U.S.) or 703-907-7322 (outside the U.S.).

+

References

+
+

CME Activity

There is currently no quiz available for this resource. Please click here to go to the CME page to find another.
Submit a Comments
Please read the other comments before you post yours. Contributors must reveal any conflict of interest.
Comments are moderated and will appear on the site at the discertion of APA editorial staff.

* = Required Field
(if multiple authors, separate names by comma)
Example: John Doe



Web of Science® Times Cited: 12

Related Content
Articles
Books
Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders, 4th Edition > Chapter 29.  >
The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, 4th Edition > Chapter 31.  >
Dulcan's Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry > Chapter 34.  >
Psychiatric News